Southwestern Kale and Quinoa Soup
This cozy soup is perfect for those early spring days that still feel like winter. Rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, this soup will get you through a hectic week! Ingredients like turmeric and kale provide tons of antioxidants which have powerful anti-inflammatory effects.
Recipe adapted by Killing Thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, with juice
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- fresh ground salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup tri-color quinoa
- 1 15 oz can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup lacinato kale, chopped
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
In a large pot, heat olive oil over moderate heat. Add diced onion, red pepper, garlic, and mushrooms, and sauté for about 5-7 minutes, or until onions are translucent and aromatic. Add the chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, and turmeric, and sauté for another 2 minutes.
Add the vegetable broth and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the soup simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.
Add the dry quinoa and cover; cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked.
Finally, add the cannellini beans and the kale. Simmer for another 5 minutes, stir in the fresh lemon juice, and enjoy!