Kale, quinoa, and avocado salad
To be honest, I’ve never been a huge fan of kale. I don’t mind it. But I also don’t crave it. I am more likely to blend it up in a smoothie or juice than eat it as a salad - BUT, any salad with kale and avocado has my heart. The smooth texture of avocado paired with the kale makes it so delicious! Plus, this mustard-based dressing is super flavorful and easy to make. Keep reading for the recipe!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or water)*
- 1 cup kale, chopped, stems removed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- sprinkle of feta cheese
- 1 tbsp hempseed
- 1 tbsp stone ground mustard
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, cold pressed
- fresh ground salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, quartered
*I love to cook quinoa in vegetable or chicken broth. I think it gives it SO much more flavor, but cooking with water works just as well!
1. To make quinoa, rinse and soak for about 10 minutes in warm water. Bring 2 cups of vegetable broth to a boil in a small saucepan, drain quinoa and add to boiling broth. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer, cooking for about 15 to 20 minutes. Turn off heat and allow quinoa to sit for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork; set aside.
2. Wash, massage, and chop kale, making sure to remove all stems. Place in a serving dish and top with quinoa and sliced avocado. Top with feta cheese, hempseed, and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Mix mustard, olive oil, juice from half of the lemon, salt and pepper in a small dish. Pour over salad. Add lemon wedges for garnish. Serve and enjoy!